To lead, develop, and support technologists and education organizations to foster student success.
Shaping the Future of Education Through Technology
California IT in Education is a not-for-profit, professional membership association supporting the IT Professionals working in schools. Our members are the dedicated individuals supporting hardware, software, help desk, data, WiFi, providing training, and installing and maintaining the infrastructure as the technology used in schools is now an essential component to teaching and learning.
We are dedicated to providing high-quality resources, professional learning, and a strong support community to our members. CITE was established in 1960 as the California Educational Data Processing Association (CEDPA). In 2003, the name was changed to California Educational Technology Professionals Association (CETPA). The organization has refocused on the IT Professionals, at all levels, working in California schools. To that end, we renamed again in 2019 to California IT in Education (CITE).
Leadership – We believe that technology leadership is essential.
Advocacy – We believe Advocacy facilitates and accelerates change.
Learning – We believe technology can enhance learning. Learning is ongoing and lasts a lifetime.
Community – We believe a strong community enables the abilities of all of its members. There exists in our community the talent to solve any problem.
CITE is a California non-profit 501(c)6 organization as recognized by the Internal Revenue Service. Our Board of Directors are elected by ballot at the association's Annual Conference.
CITE is governed by a 12-member Board of Directors consisting of officers including President, President-elect, Past President, Secretary and Treasurer, along with seven other Directors At-Large.
Read our 2022-2023 Annual Report
Please watch this Informative video, made during our 50th year, to learn more about CITE's history.
CITE 2022 - 2024 Strategic Plan Summary
Point of Arrival One: Advancing Technologists in Education
CITE members are diverse, highly qualified, and highly sought after as innovators and leaders of information technology in education.
- Strategic Objective: Technologists at all levels engage in ongoing learning and advancement utilizing CITE's programs addressing their specific needs.
- Strategic Objective: IT leaders have access to the resources they need through CITE to hire, develop and retain a diverse staff.
- Strategic Objective: Technologists in education validate their knowledge and competency through CITE certificate and certification programs.
Point of Arrival Two: Engaging and Serving Members
CITE is the professional home for all technologists in education, connecting them to an innovative and supportive community, and empowering them with the resources they need to advance education organizations and the students they serve.
- Strategic Objective: Technologists in education at all levels actively engage in the supportive and collaborative community CITE nurtures as a safe space to share their experiences.
- Strategic Objective: An increasingly diverse group of technologists is attracted to careers in technology in education and CITE as their professional organization.
- Strategic Objective: Members' experience with CITE is engaging, streamlined, and personalized.
- Strategic Objective: Technologists and LEAs benefit from CITE affinity programs meeting their needs for supporting services.
Point of Arrival Three: Advocating for Technology in Education
CITE is recognized by policymakers, the media, and allied associations as the authority in California for advancing technology and technologists in education.
- Strategic Objective: The important contribution CITE members make to education is promoted through active engagement with the media.
- Strategic Objective: Members' priorities and interests are advanced through collaboration with legislators and policymakers at the state and national levels.
- Strategic Objective: Members and their organizations benefit by being recognized and having access to additional resources through CITE partnership with allied associations.
Point of Arrival Four: Ensuring Our Ability to Serve
CITE is a diverse organization with a strong leadership pipeline and portfolio of programs that ensures the association has the human and financial resources it needs to achieve its vision.
- Strategic Objective: CITE has a diverse portfolio of revenue-generating programs.
- Strategic Objective: CITE actively cultivates a diverse group of potential board members that are representative of an increasingly diverse base of members.
- Strategic Objective: CITE investment accounts prioritize both the fiscal health of the organization and using investment funds to improve member resources and opportunities.